Monday 20 October 2014

Sizergh to Helsington Church

As usual lately I’m behind with blogging so today’s post is from early last month when William and I had a few carefree days up at Bay View.

DSC_4595b

The weather was very kind to us and a walk in the country was what we fancied.  In particular the walk from Sizergh Castle to Helsington Church.

DSC_4531b

The land was level along this well travelled footpath at first but we knew it was going to be uphill some of the way. 

DSC_4539b

Through that gate and round that bend in the path…

DSC_4543b

.. was this green and pleasant view.

DSC_4547b

We weren’t there yet.  Still more climbing to do..

DSC_4551b

..before that white house came into full view.

DSC_4570b

Along with its farm buildings.

DSC_4555b

Some or all of that white house is available to rent through The National Trust.  If you follow this link you’ll be able to see what that lovely country farmhouse looks like on the inside.  It’d be a fantastic place for a break away from it all for certain.

DSC_4556b

Walking onwards and upwards and peering over a wall I noticed this farmer hard at work.  It’s always good to see dry stone walls being maintained and we’ve seen a lot of repair work being carried out over the last several years.  Our countryside just wouldn’t be the same if they were left to go to rack and ruin.

DSC_4560b

Finally the summit and the reward for our hike up the hill, The Parish Church of St. Helsington

helsington4

.. with this wonderful, far reaching, panoramic view in front of it.  I borrowed this picture from a Visit Cumbria website.  It really doesn’t do the view justice but it was better than no picture at all.  Can’t remember why I didn’t get a shot of the view myself.

DSC_4564b

William and I both enjoyed a wander through the graveyard reading the headstones as we went.

DSC_4563b

Doesn’t everybody enjoy that?  Okay, I know maybe not everybody does but we certainly do!

DSC_4565b

The interior of the church with its lovely painted mural which was painted in 1919 and is  a WW1 memorial. 

After devouring the view and a good look round the church and its grounds we set off for the downhill ramble back to the car.

DSC_4577b

Our little dog, Muffin, is bobbing on in years now.  He turned 16 this week. At one stage he couldn’t navigate the steep steps down so William had to give him a helping hand.  At one time he would have practically flown down steps like that!

DSC_4572b

On the way down I peeped my head inside the barn we’d passed on the way up.

DSC_4598b

Won’t be long now before it’s full I’d say judging from the work going on in the fields around it.  I love our countryside and I love to see country life in action.

DSC_4594b

A couple of the sights along the route.

DSC_4549b

I thought this was a pretty sight.  I wondered if they were edible but needless to say that was all I did, just wondered.

DSC_4603b

It would’ve been nice to have spread a blanket and eaten a picnic here beside the car.  Maybe we’ll do that next time. 

 

DSC_4612b

A few minutes away from Sizergh Castle is Sizergh Barn where they sell home grown produce and locally handmade goods.

DSC_4609b

Including these baskets which I rather liked.

DSC_4607b

My favourite was this gondola basket.  They were all the rage when I was at school in the 60s.  I remember my brother made me one in his woodwork class.

DSC_4615b

And  now a couple of random pics to finish off.  The above vegetables were on sale at the Wolf House at Silverdale.  I loved the old rustic table, boxes and scales.  I must watch next time I’m there and notice if the scales get used.  I hope they do.  Looking at the picture now, I don’t think they do.  The weights wouldn’t have that much rust on them if they were in constant use would they?

IMG_0006_edited-1b

And lastly, on the drive up to Bay View we stopped at the motorway services for a Starbucks coffee and this lovely vision with the Stars and Stripes flying pulled alongside the kerb in front of us.  It’s a 1959 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (or was it de Point?).  It was huge and it was immaculate!   It was fascinating too, just not your everyday sight.  Funnily enough we saw it again in the same place a couple of weeks later.  The owner sat nearby us and we got to chatting.  He told us the car’s history, most of which I cannot remember but it was interesting at the time. :-)

Until next time,

 

BlogSignature

 

 

1 comment:

Anita Johnson said...

I sound like a broken record, but you DO live in a very beautiful place with outstanding views! I must say the mushroom picture is stunning!