Sunday 15 January 2012

Wycoller Country Park

A sharp frost covered the ground this morning but that didn't stop us from enjoying a day in the countryside.  Actually, for me, it only enhanced the pleasure.  I love to get all wrapped up and get out in the fresh air when it's cold.

DSC_4082b

Victoria, Gary and the boys joined William and I today for an outing to the village of Wycoller and its surrounding Country Park.  Wycoller is said to be one of the prettiest villages in Lancashire and is only a 45 minutes or so drive away from our doorstep.

DSC_4083b

None of us had ever been to Wycoller before so we were all in for a treat.  Quaint and pretty to say the least and mainly traffic free too.

DSC_4085b

Wycoller is in Bronte country, follow this link for info on that connection.

DSC_4087b

Above you can see the remains of 16th century Wycoller Hall on the left.  A visitor information centre is in the barn on the right of the photo. 

DSC_4096b

The boys loved it.  There was plenty of room for them to run around and ride their bikes.  I imagine it's a different story on a summer's day when the place will be heaving with visitors.  It was fairly busy today in the depths of winter.

DSC_4106b

Seven bridges cross Wycoller Beck and I think it's the one above that is reported to be around 1,000 years old!  That's George above, I guarantee he was wishing he'd got his wellies on so he could go paddling.

DSC_4113b

Lots of old houses, quite a few of them for sale.  Pretty as this village is, I don't think I'd like to live right in the middle of it, it must be like living in a goldfish bowl!

DSC_4116b

Picnic area complete with duck pond. 

DSC_4125b

Another bridge - maybe it's this one that's 1,000 years old?

DSC_4136b

Did I mention it was cold!

DSC_4147b

Beautiful landscape.

DSC_4149b

An abundance of dry stone walls.  Little boys just have to climb don't they?

DSC_4161b

Rich farming country I think.  Tons of sheep in the fields.

DSC_4163b

It was a lovely day and we had a great time.  George posing for me!

DSC_4165b

Here I am in the ruins of Wycoller Hall with George.  He particularly seemed to be having a good time today and wants us to take him back again.  I think that can be arranged, no problem!

Kathleen.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Love all the old bridges! I have an oddball *thing* about foot bridges, especially quaint old ones. I have had it since I was a little girl.

The whole outing looks wonderful. Someday I'm going to get brave and rich enough to visit your neck of the woods. I love it every time you post.

elizabeth said...

Beautiful photos! Thanks so much for your encouragement on my post today.