Saturday 9 July 2011

More From Our Holiday in Devon.

To say that our holiday in Devon with my sister and her husband was for only one week we seemed to have packed an awful lot in.  There seemed to be a full schedule each day even though my initial plan was to make it a relaxing holiday for all of us.   So much for the best laid plans etc.

Today's photos tell the story of what we did on the Tuesday.

DSC_1009b

Sidmouth was on the list for a spot of shopping. It's the nearest town to where we stay, is full of interesting shops, including one or two charity shops :-) and is smack bang on the coast too.  The shop in these pictures is a splendid old place.

DSC_1008b

With all original cabinets in excellent shape and...

DSC_1007b ...to my delight has a lovely little cafe at the back.  I've been in this shop just once or twice before but I must've walked round it with my eyes closed.  Like I've said before when I have my camera with me I see more of my surroundings.  Anyway, this little cafe is right up my street and when I return to Devon in August my daughter, Caroline, will be with me - guess where we'll be going for a coffee and a cake?  Yep, that little cafe up there at the back of Trumps!

DSC_1017b

Coming out of one of the shops I could hear the sound of beautiful music somewhere in the vicinity.  I knew it was a busker and at first thought it was a violinist.  It wasn't, it was this curly haired little old man playing the mouth organ.  I had no idea a mouth organ could sound so sweet.  I chatted to him, he'd been making music since he was a little lad, played by ear and said he could play anything anybody asked him to play.  He was amazing!

DSC_1020b

After traipsing round the shops we grabbed a pasty each and ate them on the seafront.

DSC_1024b

Pasties consumed our next stop was Sidmouth Garden Centre. 

DSC_1027b

We all love flowers and plants and I wanted to take Maureen and Jerry there - a. because I wanted us to sit out on the decking, relax a little, enjoying a cream tea while overlooking this luscious landscape which just happens to be one of my favourite views of all time.  Oh, and b. because it's also a great garden centre.

DSC_1043b

Later on that evening the men indulged in a spot of sea fishing off Seaton beach...

DSC_1044_edited-1b

while...

DSC_1048b

...we ladies watched and indulged in a glass of wine.   And that's what I call a fitting end to a busy day.  To be honest this wasn't the end.  There was another stop in one of those previously mentioned very quaint old pubs for a thirst quenching cold drink and back at the ranch a game of Rummikub before bedtime.

Once again more to follow tomorrow.

Kathleen.

No comments: