Tuesday 21 June 2011

Imperial War Museum

On Saturday William and I took Maureen and Jerry to the Imperial War Museum at Salford Quays.

DSC_0818b

All the exhibits make you stop and take note.

DSC_0833b

We were all moved and impressed by this War Museum.  The displays were not just facts and figures, artefacts and photographs but also survivors' memories both in the form of letters and the spoken word.  

DSC_0816b

A few of those facts and figures.  I couldn't believe my eyes when I read that first line!

DSC_0834b

Billy, Maureen and Jerry standing in front of a Russian tank right outside the museum.

DSC_0823b

I should be able to, but can't, remember what this type of gun is called.  What I do remember is that my brother had a miniature replica of one when we were kids.  It used to fire matchsticks.   I remember playing with it on the hearth in front of the fire in our back living room.  It seems looking back that there was always a coal fire in that room, no matter the season.  Completely irrelevant I know but I just thought I'd mention it.

After this we brought the visitors up to our house for tea.  William made a very nice Chinese chicken stir-fry.  Our girls and their families came round to visit and we were able to spend time out in the garden, having a drink, playing garden boules etc.

Sunday was a special day for  my sister, Jean.  Her eldest daughter was Confirmed and made her First Communion.  It was a lovely service and went off without a hitch.

This coming Saturday we are taking the Bakers off to Devon for a week's holiday.  I'm hoping and praying for good weather.  I know we're going to have a good time no matter what but a bit of sunshine would be the icing on the cake.

Kathleen.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

We have a WW2 war museum near here, and I went with my daughter on a field trip. It is very stirring, I agree.

It sounds like you and your sister are having a wonderful time on her visit. Wasn't it nice for you to be able to share the confirmation while extended family was around?