Monday 10 January 2011

Insomnia

I don't think I'm a complete, fully developed insomniac. One of those people who don't sleep at all maybe one or two nights a week and instead they do housework, read, write or other time-passing things.  However there are times when I just can't sleep at night.  This is one of those times.

Last night for instance I was tired by 11.30pm.  I know that's late for some but for me it's about normal. I went to bed, fell asleep but woke up within the hour.  Then I lay there with my mind racing around. Around family matters, around things I'd done that day, things I'd done 40 years ago, things I need to do, things I want to do , things I should have done, things I shouldn't have done, things I said, more often things I shouldn't have said.   Nearly always they are negative, worrying thoughts that fly around in my tiny little brain.

So I get up after perhaps an hour of trying unsuccessfully to get back to sleep.  I am then back to my normal calm self.  I'll read, or watch the telly, or sometimes I'll make a note of what was on my mind if it's something that needs to be done.  Then after a couple of hours when I definitely can stay awake no longer I'll go back to bed and hope to sleep.  Of course the problem then is that I can't wake up in the morning when I should!

I've been like this for a long time, so I can't even blame it on my age.

I know on the scale of things if this is my only problem then really it's not a problem at all.  All the same though, does anybody else have this problem?

DSC_8566blog

Talking about 40 years ago.  40 years ago John Lennon was my favourite Beatle.  I thought he was gorgeous.  I'm not so sure I was right about the gorgeous bit anymore.

Just for the record.  I took this picture last Friday when I went to the Trafford Centre with Caroline, Tee and Charlie.  It was in a shop window.  It was life-size and I thought it was really cool.  Oh dear, daughters, I've said cool again!  They love it when I say that don't you girls?

Kathleen.

4 comments:

Victoria said...

Mother, you need a new crush!!! xx

Betsy Brock said...

Love the Beatles! :)

Hey, I'm an optimist that is married to a pessimist, too!

What a lovely blog! I'm glad I found you!

Betsy Brock said...

I forgot to mention that my hubs has insomnia a lot. I sleep through anything but he gets up and reads in the wee hours of the night quite often.

Anita Johnson said...

I've been reading through your posts too and thought I should comment here! I love the old photo you posted today...I'm a bit younger, born in 1958, but certainly form the same era. I have some classic photos like this of my sister and I, but we never vacationed more than a days drive from home. Good memories!
I have had some problems with insomnia too. I used to get up and do something...often photoshop, but I would be up for hours and then,like you, tired in the morning. Now, I stay in bed and use it as an unexpected prayer time. I have found it a good use of my time. (-: