Thursday 14 October 2010

Yesterday was a day of…

…markets and charity shops.

DSC_6546

My sister in law, Audrey, is home on a rare visit from Australia.  She and her family emigrated in 1969 and one of the things she misses about England is a good old-fashioned market.  So yesterday I was more than happy to take her to a couple of the markets here in my neck of the woods. 

We spent a good, long afternoon trawling through all the charity shops and wandering up and down the rows of stalls.  Audrey was in her element and said several times how happy she was and how she loved the little towns that I took her to.  She found a few treasures to take back home for family and friends.  Among her finds were two Royal Doulton Willow Pattern tea plates, a Wedgewood Jasperware trinket box and a rather sinister looking brass toasting fork.  All bargains too.  I never thought to take pictures of them, we were too busy nattering all the while.

Audrey and I are separated by 20 years.  I’m the youngest child of eight and she married my oldest brother.  Audrey is an interesting person with a keen memory and it was so interesting to listen to her reminisce about the old days.  She told me about her childhood -she’s a Lancashire lass from Oldham - about how she met my brother and how he proposed, all sorts of family stuff that I didn’t know about before.  I can’t say how much I enjoyed our day together and wish that we could do it again soon but come Saturday, Audrey, will be off on the second half of her trip and will be on the train down to London to spend some time with her granddaughter and grandson who are both in London just now.

So, that was my extra special simple pleasure this week.  Now I’m going over to A Collection of This and That where Dayle and her friends will be sharing their Simple Pleasures too.

Kathleen.

6 comments:

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

Lovely post and word imagery. No photos needed sometimes. As I used to tell my writing students, the alphabet is what we use to paint word pictures and, when done right, it can be pure magic.

Love this Simple Pleasure, although saying goodbye to your sis-in-law made me a little weepy for you.

Evelyn S. said...

What a wonderful visit with your sister-in-law! I love the idea of all the little markets, too. Nothing like that here in this part of the US (NE Oregon), but I'm sure some of the cities have something. Thanks for sharing this memorable occasion.

Vintagesouthernlife said...

Oh what fun. Your sister in law and I are of a like mind. I love what I call thrifting.
It was so thoughtful of you to plan something you knew she would enjoy and create a wonderful memory.

Ms.Daisy said...

Kathleen,
I loved going along with you and your sister in law on your hunt for treasures! Such fun - one of the things I love to do with my daughters. Great Simple Pleasure!


~Jean

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful day. From the looks of it there was a nice nip of cold in the air. Just perfect...Patty

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful day. From the looks of it there was a nice nip of cold in the air. Just perfect...Patty