Tuesday 8 December 2009

It's just around the corner ...

... Christmas, that is.  There's just no getting away from it and so yesterday afternoon I went off on the train to Manchester to meet my lovely cousin, Sylvia. We spent the afternoon browsing the Continental Christmas Markets, doing a bit of Christmas shopping, stopping for coffee and dodging the rain.  The weather didn't dampen our spirits though and we had a lovely afternoon catching up on stuff and just mooching around.



Above are pictures of Manchester Town Hall with Father Christmas sitting very proudly on a podium over the entrance to the Hall and the many market stalls in front taking up all of Albert Square.
 
This is the interior of the Town Hall where a posh handmade jewellery exhibition was being held.  People were also having Afternoon Tea in there and I hadn't seen that in there before but it looked very nice. I've made a mental note of it though and my girls and I will probably, hopefully anyway, try it one of these fine days.

Above is "The Hidden Gem" church (just off Albert Square), it's a very unremarkable building seen from the outside but is very, very beautiful inside. We popped in to light a candle and pause for a minute or two. 

It was a lovely way to spend a wet, very close to Christmas, afternoon.



2 comments:

John said...

Truthfully how many mulled wines did you sample during your visit - or can't you remember!?

SarahLyons said...

I like these photos Kathleen, they're lovely to see as I won't be visiting Manchester this Christmas. It sounds like you and Sylvia had a great day!! xx